Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Escapades

I feel like a stubborn teen. These few days shouldn't just come and go, just because I don't want them to. I want to whine and kick up a fuss, insisting that I don't have to go to 'school'. Not yet. But on the other hand, I shouldn't be the one complaining. After all, my break lasted so much longer than all the others. Even the friends in Seremban have started before me. And here I am in Adelaide, blogging about not wanting it to be over.

Let's just get to the holiday report. We've tried to cram as much into the week I'm here, and still there's more to see. Adelaide may be boring, but a week is not enough. I liked Glenelg, the beach with the superb fish and chips (supposedly Adelaide's finest). The shopfronts along the street were charming and swarming with people (i was beginning to wonder why people here didn't have to work on a Thursday). One Wendy's icecream, one pizza from Mamma Carmella, mmmm. And the weather! Hot sun bearing down, and freezing cold water in contrast.

Friday was spent at the 'now famous' Rundle Mall, an open concept mall. Which basically means you're walking along a street with shops on both sides and no cars. Sort of like Kuching's India Street. Excepting the 'aquas'. Lunch with Eve and Manda was great, we shared a pizza (again!). I was really glad we got to catch up like that. Hopefully in the next 2 days I'm here we can get together at least one more time. When I was talking to Manda, she brought up how big my Ryan is getting. And I've been meaning to blog about this for ages. I feel a bit remorseful, because I know that the next time I go home, he wouldn't want to hold my hand when we go out. He wouldn't want me to come along everywhere he goes. It's sad, because I wish children didn't have to grow up so fast. And I hope I'm wrong come December.

Walking along Rundle Mall by myself later wasn't as fun as when I was walking around Sydney though. Must have been because all there was to do was shop. Nothing much in terms of sights. Fish joined me later for dinner, which we had at Silk Road, a Chinese Restaurant. The food was delicious, but so not worth 20 Aussie. This is why, dear people in Malaysia, you have got it so good. Eating out costs a bomb here. Sigh. Looks like I'm gonna have to spend more time in my kitchen.

Bing Lee and Gee, thanks for a great time on Saturday morning, when we went to eat Vietnamese beef noodles. It were really yummy, and worth the 15 minute ride in sweltering heat in Gee's car which has no functioning airconditioning. Haha. I also managed to take away a Vietnamese roll with combination PORK, which I had for lunch at Westfields Marion Shopping Centre, where the whole IMU M205/M105 gang went for the afternoon. I had Mcd's icecream, which was much better than Malaysian one, and we walked around for a while. The girls were shopping for clothes, but I was different. Haha. I was in K-mart looking for household items that I knew I could've bought in Sydney. To my credit, I didn't buy anything. Me and the bored guys decided to watch 10,000 BC which reminded me of Apocalypto. Which wasn't a very good thing. And we were all unanimous on that. That night was spent at Christine's place, eating steamboat and chatting with the IMU seniors. The food was good, but my one regret? Not taking a group pic.

Sunday is church day. I followed the rest to Paradise Community Church, where I realised that the one Sunday on which I didn't go to church (in Sydney), I really missed it. The speaker was from Uganda, and it made me think of the brothers and sisters in ECF from Africa, and how much they're seeing happen in their land. It's just awesome. We rushed off to take the bus to Hahndorf, a German village in the suburbs, but because we were waiting for certain unnamed people to get there, we missed the bus. Don't worry, I'm not blaming anyone. So we headed off to.. Mcd for lunch. Bacon and frozen coke : not available in Malaysia. And so good. Hanhdorf was very far, but the scenery along the way was spectacular. When we reached the famous Beerenberg Strawberry Farm, we were disappointed to find we couldn't go and pick strawberries because it was too hot. Gah. But at least the shop was still open so we all got strawberry jam and strawberries and icecream. The shops in Hahndorf are so small and quaint I was so delighted. We walked in and out oohing and aahing at the cute chocolates, sweets, souvenirs and the such.
But that's when disaster struck! My camera dropped and now it can't be turned on. Looks like all my gadgets have perfect timing. My pda also decided to malfunction when I was in Sydney. And all in the land of expensive service charges. We did however go to German Arms Hotel to sit and chat, because like all shops here in Aussie, everything closes at 5. We were ambushed (!) by a drunk man who wanted to take pictures with us. Haha, nah, he was harmless but quite obviously wasted. Pictures to come. Especially of the German Trio. No, it's not a band, it's a platter of German sausages, 3 different ones all of which were delicious. There was sauerkraut served with it but none of us liked it.

Now for Monday! I'm gonna spoil the surprise and tell you this was the highlight of my trip so far. Cleland Wildlife Park. Kangaroos and wallabies, emus and potoroos. Just walking about among them, feeding them and taking lots of pictures. Which actually speak more than a thousand words (sorry for the cliche), so wait for the upload of those pictures. That night we splurged on Hog's Breath Cafe's steak, which was super tasty (with cheese sauce and curly fries that could match A&W's). It wasn't quite enough cause we decided to be Malaysian and be "kiamsiap" a bit.

Anyway, today's Monday, and I need to go to Rundle to get my camera fixed (we used Yeap's yesterday). Blah.

2 comments:

eesong said...

helo yun~

just dropping by to say hi wakkakakakak will read your blog when i'm more free, which is definitely not now hehez

cya and take care~

eesong

yun said...

haha no prob.. hi back! hehe.. u're having exams?

yups you take care too..