Friday, March 7, 2008

Virgin voyage

Hi, and welcome everyone to my 2nd (or 3rd) attempt at writing a blog (and maintaining it). Forgive the cheesy starting line, it's just because I've been asked by many people to resuscitate my blog. And seeing as I'm now starting a whole new chapter of my life, what better time than now?

The last few days have been ones of strange surroundings, different experiences, fresh starts. I know it's always daunting to move out of your comfort zone, but it was made easier for me by my aunt and uncle in Sydney, who I really thank God for. They helped my transition in any way that they could, making the long drive from their house to my apartment daily without complaint. Putting me up in their home with no qualms. Taking me to buy my necessities, and not rolling their eyes each time I failed to make a decision there and then (hey, you know me..).

So if anyone's wondering how I'm coping, I would say I'm enjoying this ride. Despite the cleaning, unpacking and the shopping (for household items, not clothes), it's been interesting. Somewhere later on, I'll post pictures I took while walking around Sydney CBD (Central
Business District) by myself, fully exploiting the freedom I had in travelling alone. Trust me, walking alone is not as boring as it may seem. I wanted to post them now but my pictures have not been moved to my hard disk yet.

That's because I'm in Adelaide! Yes, a little early for a holiday, but.. Let me go through the whole story for the millionth time. When we called UNSW for our starting date, we were told it was on the 3rd of March. Which was 3 days ago, if you've checked the date and realised. But about 2 weeks before we were due to fly off on the 28th February, we received a timetable saying our IMU students' meeting with the professor was on 17th March! Imagine my horror, having to leave 2 weeks early. Cat and Ee Leen changed their flights but I stubbornly refused. I had more at stake than a flight booking. I had 3. Haha. I still had to fly to KL, and my dad was supposed to accompany me. As an added bonus, my mum was going on a cruise to Phuket which just happened to make port the morning before I left. Which meant she could see me off at the airport as well. Seeing as I'm such a family-oriented person, I preferred not changing my flight. So instead, I booked a week's holiday to visit the gang at Adelaide. Yeah, of course you're thinking I came here for one person. It was my main reason I'll have to admit. But there were many people here I wanted to meet. 2 Lodge friends, 2 PM10 friends, and an abundance of IMU friends. I just arrived yesterday afternoon and immediately was brought on a bus ride in the opposite direction of the city. Excepting the heat, it would have been quite funny. Adelaide is experiencing the most distressing heat wave. Even I was complaining.

It was also quite good to meet the IMU gang last night as they were frantically taking notes and listening to Chris and Rahul give them pointers for their upcoming mock OSCE. Although it scared me a bit because what little knowledge I had during EOS 5 was all a blur to me. I guess that's the downside of having such a long break. But hey, I'm gonna take whatever I can get.

*Oh and by the way, the title refers to my 'migration' to sydney, this new blog and also the flight to adelaide, which was on Virgin Blue airlines. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come u don't just continue the old blog?

yun said...

hey cherie! haha.. cos i've grown sick of the template, the space for the words so narrow. and if i change the template, the colour of all my posts must be changed. creating a new one seemed so much easier. hehe. i guess i could go back if i wanted. we'll see..